Outer Banks Riding Stables offers an absolute must do activity providing a unique beach and wilderness experience for horse enthusiasts from all over the world to come. Cedar Island Stables provides an exclusive experience for horse rides on the beach and in the surf at the Pamlico Sound, an undeveloped and pristine beach that has spectacular views along the coast and miles of virtually untouched land to explore and search for the majestic, Outer Banks Wild Spanish Horses who have roamed these areas freely for centuries. The horses are a protected herd that roam throughout the islands and frequent our beach.
Our horseback rides are designed to showcase the natural beauty of the coast of Pamlico Sound. You will ride along the water’s edge in the sand and may have the opportunity to witness wild horses, marine wildlife such as dolphins, sea otters, seabirds, free range cattle and different species of saltwater stingrays or fish. Our 90 and 120 minute rides will feature amazing water crossings between Cedar Island, Ship Shoal Island & Hog Island as well as beach & dune trail riding. We offer one hour, one and a half hour and two hour rides every day of the week (by appointment only) all year round at Outer Banks Riding Stables.
Private or group lessons are offered year round by appointment. Call 252-515-9441 for further details.
We now offer pony rides for the little ones at affordable rates and a precious memory for your family.
Tack & Ride programs are now available by popular demand. Learn the basics of horse care, how to brush, saddle, halter, mount and ride in a controlled environment with a professional guide. It’s a great opportunity to determine if you or your child is ready for their own horse.
– Do you have a special event? Let us make it special with a fire ring & champagne waiting for you on the beach – Engagements, weddings, anniversaries, birthday parties, etc. (Call 252-515-9441 for details)
Book a once in a lifetime ride today! Advanced reservations are required.
The Outer Banks Riding Stables owners have over 15 years of horse experience. All of the guides are experienced horsemen and women who pride themselves on horse and rider safety. Safety of our guests is our number one priority!
Our horses are well seasoned and will be matched to your riding ability. Our horses are like family and are well taken care of and are fed a quality hay and grain mixture. We typically take 2 rides in the mornings and 2 rides in the evenings because those are the coolest parts of the day and the horses are resting during the other parts of the day.
• All riders must be at least 8 years old for the hour long beach ride, any child under 10 years old is subject to being lead-lined to the guide horse.
• Our weight limit is 275 pounds. This is enforced for the safety of our horses.
• At a minimum we hold reservation spots with credit card information or you may pay for the entire ride via credit card when you book or arrive. You may also pay in cash when checking in for your convenience. • We accept Visa, Mastercard, American Express, and Discover.
• We recommend making your reservations several days in advance to secure a spot before that day gets fully booked. Same day reservations may be available but the more in advance you book, the better the availability will be.
• WEATHER – If we have to cancel your ride due to weather and we have not completed more than 75% of your ride, we will reschedule your activity or provide you with a rain check that is good for 12 months. Please arrive regardless of the weather and bring a rain coat. If it is a mild rain or sprinkling, we will ride. WE DO NOT RIDE IF IT IS THUNDERING OR LIGHTENING.
• CANCELLATIONS – We will not charge you for cancellations made more than 24 hours in advance. If you cancel less than 24 hours prior to the ride we will charge you a cancellation fee of $50.00. Our guides spend a great deal of time preparing for each ride prior to your arrival.
• Please show up 20 minutes early at the barn, in the Visitor Center or our new restaurant, Sharky’s Bar & Grill to check in. Every rider must complete a waiver before the ride leaves. Any rider under the age of 18 must be signed by the child’s parent or guardian.
**Rain checks are vouchers valid for 12 months allowing you to reschedule your missed ride for a future date. You may also gift your ride to another person. There are no refunds after a ride is paid for.
When riding you should…
• Wear closed toed shoes and long pants are recommended. Bring suntan lotion and bug spray and apply before your ride
• Leave valuables in your car that you may drop or lose (sunglasses, wallet, etc.)
• Helmets are available but are not required (optional)
• Riders with any physical, mental, or emotional concerns should let us know prior to booking a ride so the issues can be addressed and accommodations can be made
• Know that we may cross over water occasionally and you could get wet
• Know we reserve the right to cancel rides due to high winds, heavy rain, hot weather or unforeseen circumstances
We strive to provide a safe and family oriented place where people can enjoy the love of their animal. We encourage people to spend time not only with their horses but with others here at the stable. We strive to keep a clean friendly atmosphere free of bad or abusive language or activities that are rude, disruptive, or disrespectful. We also do not tolerate the abuse of the horses. The goal is to have a place to relax and find a sense of community.